Sunday, October 9, 2011

Sweet and Sour Chicken



So we all love Chinese food but it can get super pricey and really fatty! I was watching foodnetwork one day and one of the cooks was making a baked "fried chicken". I though okay thats awesome but why did she not make a sauce for it. I went searching and I found a sauce. Now it calls for Pineapple juice but tonight I was a huge space out and threw out my pineapple juice. I had to find a sub and thank goodness we just got more oj this morning. Oj is a PERFECT sub buuuut of course it was pine orange BANANA. I tried it and it came out really well!! Enjoy!! This is the 2nd night I have made this!


Ingredients-

-Chicken breast (2 or 3 breasts for 2 people work great)
- Flour to coat the chicken
- Pinch of salt and and pepper to flavor the chicken
- 1 green and one red pepper (orange and yellow work fine)
- 1 can of cut pineapple SAVE THE JUICE!! you will need half a cup
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch, mixed with 4 teaspoons water
  • - 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
  • - 3 tablespoons rice wine vinager
  • - 1/4 cup chicken stock
  • Directions-
  • Cut the chicken into cubes and put it into a bowl with the flour seasoned with the salt and pepper, you can add some garlic powder if you like. I used a wok because I have one but a big frying pan works. Brown chicken and remove to plate. Add red and green peppers (or whatever color you used) and cook for 1 minute. Stir in pineapple chunks, juice, sugar, vinegar and chicken stock and bring to a simmer. Simmer until sauce begins to reduce. Stir in cornstarch mixture and bring liquid to a simmer. You may think you dont need the corn starch because you have the flour from the chicken but trust me you do. Stir in chicken cubes and cook for 5 minutes. Serve over brown rice to keep it healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment