I discovered red velvet cake a few years ago and Ive been obsessed since. Ive made cupcakes, cake, muffins, pancakes, and cake pops but when I saw this recipe I knew that it would be next on my list. Just a warning...they are very dense and rich so be sure to share it with your friends!
Red Velvet Swirl Cheesecake Brownies
~ yields 16 squares @ 350 degrees using a 8” x 8” baking tray
Unsalted Butter – 8 tbsp (1 stick) – melted
Sugar – 1 cup
Vanilla Extract – 1 tsp
Ghirardelli Unsweetened Cocoa Powder – 1/4 cup
Pinch of salt
Red Food Coloring – 1 tbsp
Vinegar – 1/2 tsp (original recipe is 1 tsp)
Eggs – 2
All Purpose Flour – 3/4 cup
Cream Cheese Layer:
Cream Cheese – 8 ounces (softened)
Sugar – 1/4 cup
Egg – 1
Vanilla Extract – 1/8 tsp
DIRECTIONS for Brownie Layer:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a baking tray.
2. Melt a stick of butter.
3. Once melted, add it to a mixing bowl.
4. Add sugar and vanilla extract. Blend until combined.
5. Add cocoa powder, pinch of salt, red food coloring, and vinegar.
6. Blend until well combined.
7. Add the blended eggs and combine until well incorporated.
8. Add the white flour.
9. Gently fold flour into batter.
10. Pour 3/4 of the batter into the prepared pan and reserve a 1/4 batter for later.
DIRECTIONS for Cream Cheese Layer:
11. In a separate bowl combine the cream cheese, 1 egg, sugar, and vanilla extract.
12. Blend until smooth and creamy.
13. Add the cream cheese layer over the brownie mixture and spread.
14. Add the remaining red velvet batter and swirl with fork or spatula.
16. Place into the oven for 30 minutes exactly – DO NOT OVERBAKE.
18. Cut into 16 squares. Refrigerate before serving.